how to make fuel gauge show proper amount of fuel

Asked by Jul 31, 2015 at 10:58 AM about the 1987 Buick Century Custom Wagon

gauge hand is past F and never moves so I run out of gas ALOT!!

21,115

Well, of course, you can get a replacement gauge, there's places online who specialize in old car parts, do a Google search. Or, just calculate your fuel consumption by the number of miles driven. I imagine your odometer still works fine. So, if you get 15 miles per gallon and drive 150 miles you've used 10 gallons. See, you don't have to run out of gas, wasn't that easy! On such an old car as this, I might just skip fixing it and save the money towards a new vehicle.

98,395

If the gauge swings past the fuel mark it is telling you there is a open circuit in the fuel gauge circuit, it could be a broken wire but usually the sender is the problem, check aftermarket, they may make a replacement by now, or have a universal that can be made to work using different resisters in the wiring to correct the ohms to your gauge. You could try a dealer, but that old it is doubtful that they can get it. You could take a chance on a used sender from a wrecking yard if all else fails.

60

My fuel gauge to my 2002 buick century keeps going up in down like I will fill up and then it goes down to E and goes back up to fuel what's causing it and how much will it be to fix it

98,395

Jtbird, you need a fuel gauge sender, it maybe avaliable aftermarket as a complete fuel pump assembly for around 200 bucks but if your stuck with a dealer part it will be at least double that.