Car Dying, now not starting. What is happening?

Asked by Feb 27, 2015 at 11:34 AM about the 1992 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr LE 4WD Standard Cab SB

I have a 1992 Dodge Dakota v8 with 162k miles.  Recently it started randomly dying while driving.  It would usually start up right away, but sometimes I would have to let it sit a bit.  Come this morning, I went to start it and it only turns over.  I listened for the hum of the fuel pump, and I  believe I heard it, but I also could smell gas outside when I was trying to start it.  Help please.

105

I had something similar happen to my 92 Dakota LE 4x4 ext cab when it started getting cold. It turned out to be the computer.

3,665

Mine was the computer also when it did this on my 95.

its likely the fuel pump. easy to replace but involves dropping the tank. poss the fuel filter. one way to check if its getting gas is there is a bleeder valve ( looks like a valve stem for a tire ) push the valve stem and if gas sprays out its not the fuel pump just replace the filter. if its getting to much gas it could be the coil packs not firing the gasoline. also could be a pressure regulator. good luck

TRY THIS FIRST> there is a fuel reset switch some where also try that first the location of it is in the manual to your truck or online. u need to push the switch and then push again like any other RESET switch.