I am Researching Mercedes-Benz 300 class Diesel/Turbodiesel (and other MB Class Diesel Models). Does anyone know anything about the reliability and pros/cons of theses vehicles? Common problems? Costly repairs/issues? Comparable or superior vehicles? Can anyone help me to find additional sources of information to help with my research?

Asked by Feb 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM about the 1983 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300SD Turbodiesel Sedan

1981-1993 Mercedes-Benz 300D & 300SD sedan

19,525

a great car,usually more cost to buy on the used market, a little dated for style ,80,s square sedan,low belt line, but very friendly for all drivers large and small, a new york cab driver once had his 300d reach 1 million mile and still going strong,,their good for converting to run on waste cooking oil, every one i ever see is gold or beige,yellow? a nice red with white int, clean,id pay 4g,s myself

why jimmy7, I never knew...see what you get from just bein' out there- Really have no faith in the mercedes, my 230S was expensive as hell for the most basic of parts. A little funky, a little worn and wonky, but loved that car...like I say expensive to keep, like an uptown girl- Cannot recommend mercedes because they insist on being a notch above. Makes me want to buy an AMC or Yugo.

***factory smoker***

19,525

I agree the 300 series in the only one i;d own ,from that era 80,s

230

They are fantastic cars. I've owned two. Mercedes are cheaper to work on for do it yourselfers than many lesser brands. There just is not the aftermarket breadth nor depth as there are for the Benz. Trey to find aftermarket discount parts for Volvo's for example you will find that they just do not exist. The dealer sourced parts for that Volvo are WAY more expensive than the after market Benz parts. And frankly if a replacement taillight lens for my car is built the same and looks the same as the original then I don't care if it's made in Zimbabwe . And you will find that the parts from the reputable parts houses are indeed well made. A used Benz in beautiful condition can often be had for anywhere from 5% to 10 % of the original cost , with 50% of the cars life left . Which is why they are the best buy in automobiles.

2,265

Judge Roy, your 230s was close to 70 years old, parts probably had to be specially made for you and that, is why they were so expensive..! W124's are pretty much bomb proof and because they're so old now the parts for them are cheap as a cone of chips (or fries if your the American). Find parts super cheap in breakers yards, probably on MOT failures (or whatever the American equivalent standard for keeping cars on the road is). Nice choice of car.

@ Mick....All Mercedes Dismantlers had everything I needed...fuel pump diaphragm...timing chain...original hood ornament...1993, gave it away to a school chum...twin carbs were tough to synchronize~....he drove it back to Wisconsin right away....without giving it a

2,265

Twin carbs? How old was it?

There was a green one in Santa Monica...lo miles...bet it's gone by now....wartime fins...ROCKET...out of vogue by 1970~ I asked my buddy TOM what he's done with it and said that he hasn't drove it in 15 years, still in his garage...oh well...the kuhlmeister never worked anyways~

it was a 1968...are you across the drink, mate?

2,265

yessir, in the land of Blighty. 68, before I was even so much as a twinkle in my mums eye! I worked on some old mercs, but that ain't one of em...