SLS is there a way to adjust it? 1989 MB 560SEC

Man Armstrong

Asked by Nov 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM about the 1989 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEC Coupe

My SLS will not raise up to a normal
hight it is very low and not level.
driver side is a lot lower then the
passenger side. Is there a way to
adjust it in any way? If so can some
one please tell me how?

...well the headrest adjusts, but doesn't provide the level of adjustment that a mini cooper does...sorry~ ukey_assembly=1082177 ukey_product=7305633&ukey_assembly=1085847&ukey_make=1103&uke y_model=0&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_trimlevel=0&modelYear=0

No. there isn't....sorry~

think there might be phonebooks yet~

Mick Stewart

roy, SLS = Self levelling suspension. Birdguy, check your rear springs for broken coils and check the sls link in the centre of the rear anti roll bar is still connected. If these are ok then you'll need to check the suspension globes in the boot, they can be found behind panel at the back of the boot. Undo the 20 or so 10mm bolts and pull the panel out of the weay. There is no way to manually adjust the individual shocks and one side being lower than the other would suggest either a knackered globe or a knackered shock. DO NOT under any circumstances try to repair a faulty shock yourself as the system mercedes uses is under immense pressure

Best Answer
Man Armstrong

Thanks alot Mick I will check these things out rite now..

The 560sel and SEC had hydraulic rear self-leveling suspension that few but Mercedes are willing to work on. Over time, the hydraulic balls in the rear fill with fluid as the seals age, resulting in a harder and harder ride. Unfortunately, you can NOT swap them out for Bilsteins or the like - they must be repaired by a dealer or REAL Mercedes expert.

I'm totally in agreement with (535) Mr. RicKELake, I was told from one of the Mercedes Dealers that one of my cams are not working properly and that they cost about $150 each... My vehicle has been sitting for about 12-14 years, I believe that my reservoir is contaminated with h20 over the years and the hoses is old,dry, crack and leaking. I'm going to first start out drain the old fluid and replacing the hoses, there's a bar which control the hydraulic at the rear and which I sprayed WD-40 on and it's working pretty good, will keep you updated on my result, if anyone has any suggesting on what my problem might be, Feel free to drop me a line or