I think the self level works

315

Asked by Nov 04, 2013 at 05:41 PM about the 1989 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEC Coupe

I don't the my 560sec is self leveling.
It's really bouncy in the back. Could
it be bad shocks or spring? Or has
the self leveler token a dump on me
:-(.

P.S where do I check the oil for that?

315

Typo's all over sorry.

2,165

sounds like at least 1 of your shocks are done for. A bouncy car is a symptom of knackered shocks because if they're leaking oil they'll sag, leaving the car riding on the springs. I don't think the sec had self levelling unless it was an option. A quick way to tell is to look at the top of the shock, if there's a rubber hose coming out near the top then you have self levelling, if not you just have normal shocks and can thank your lucky stars cos they're a lot cheaper (and easier) to replace.

315

Yea I have SLS. There is no leaking from the pump or shocks. Um and I had raised the car up in the back on the driver side (engine off) to put some air in the tire but I didn't raise it to much. Then i raised the passenger side (engine on) a lot i forgot why i did that side. now it's level on that side. P.S. the car was sitting for about a year or year and a half. Driver side was in dirt unleveled had two flats.

2,165

ok, chock the front wheels and jack up the rear end (don't forget to use axel stands). climb under the rear and look at the antiroll bar, this is where the self levelling control unit is located. it's only a small metal box with 3 or 4 pipes coming from it. There's an arm coming from the unit which should be attached to the antiroll bar. This arm is unfortunately quite flimsy and has a tendency to cease up and break. This would result in the self levelling not functioning and could leave your suspension feeling, spongy. Hope this helps..

315

Thanks a lot I will take a look at it.

1,435

It is possible that your SLS hydraulic chambers have leaked out their fluids. This is a complicated system - highly recommend you see a dealer and have it done right. This suspension only appeared on the 560SEL and SEC so few mechanics have experience with it. as I mentioned in a previous question of yours - the NORMAL symptom is that ride becomes HARD when the system fills with fluid and no air; you may have the opposite problem - all air and no fluid.

315

Ok thanks alot I will take it to a dealer cause I do want it done right. And I could be riding in air I haven't thought about that. Cause its not hard at all just really bouncy and one side sits lower then the other. Car was sitting for 1/2 year on a drive, it was very unlevel plus the hole driver side was flat.