I believe the key the man who sold me the car used was different from the keys I was given. So, yes, there may be a missing aftermarket fob that is preventing me from starting the car. In which case, what should I do?

5

Asked by Sep 01, 2014 at 03:41 PM about the 1989 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL Sedan

Mercedes 560 SEL 1989 sedan just bought won't start. You answered it might be an
aftermarket fob.

I believe the key used by the man who sold me the car is not the same as the two keys
given to me with the purchase of the car. In which case, will I ever be able to drive this
car? If so, what do I need to do?
Thank you,
Charlotte

32,015

I had a 1986 SEL and don't remember it having a chipped key. Once you get it going, your going to love it. Good luck.

217,715

If in fact it is the wrong key, you will need to change the ignition lock cylinder, that should come with a new key.

2,235

You said in your last post that you were able to turn the key in the ignition to turn the wheel, if the seller had given you the wrong key that wouldn't be the case. Best thing to do would be contact the person you bought it from and ask them if there's a aftermarket immobiliser fitted or a knack to starting it.

Best Answer
5

Thank you all for your great answers. AAA came, jump started the car. He suggested a new battery, so it's in the shop. Thanks again. Charlotte

32,015

Once you get the ignition straighten out you will love your Mercedes Benz SEL. In my opinion that was the best, most practical, well built, comfortable sedan Mercedes ever built. 2 hints. Use 91 octane gas and Mercedes Benz approved fluids. I'm referring to the automatic transmission fluid. Enjoy.

5

Thank you. I will be sure to use Mercedes Benz fluids. I love the car. It seems to love me back. Smooth ride. Safe feeling. Charlotte