i have the opportunity to buy a 89 740 GLE 4 cyl for $500. Think there might be something going on with the timing belts because present owner mentioned that possibility. Is this a good deal? Rest of car is immaculate. No leaks visible even. 167,000 miles. planning to buy it saturday

Asked by Dec 09, 2015 at 12:15 PM about the 1989 Volvo 740 GLE Wagon

216,795

Any car that runs for $500 is a good deal. As you found out, you will be putting some money into it to get it running just right. If the rest of the car is in nice shape, do it, Volvo's run a long time if you maintain them.

20,425

Like any $500 car it is a gamble- lower your odds of coming out ahead because the owner is already admitting problems- lower them even more because it is a Volvo- I would look for an early '90s Toyota Corolla- these are solid bets-

40,425

If you can afford to gamble $500 then go for it. The timing belt issue could mean a few things. If it runs then great. If it breaks then you will probably ruin the engine so address the timing belt issue before you drive it.