Is it bad to smell gas in the oil ?

Asked by Feb 12, 2015 at 05:29 AM about the 1989 Volvo 240 DL Wagon

I smell gas in my oil . Is that bad, if so what needs to be done to fix the problem ?

6,425

The only thing I can think of would be a stuck injector that is flooding one cylinder (it could be more but I would think unlikely). All that fuel starts to ride down the cylinder wall and it cleans the sides of the cylinder bore of all the oil. Gas is not a good lubricant!! It wipes the cylinder and then you end up burning the rings / overheating them / premature failure and then loss of compression. You could put seafoam in the gas tank or other injector treatment but I don't think I would want to risk it. You can pull your spark plugs to check for ones that are really black and wet and then you'll know which injector it is. But you need a sonic cleaner (like 65ish from harbor freight - I love that cleaner) or you could take it to a shop and have it done more thorough as I could be missing info. It's a start though. Best regards,