Overdrive does not always disengage.

Asked by Jul 06, 2015 at 10:50 AM about the 1983 Volvo 240 GL

1983 240 manual transmission.  The overdrive always engages perfectly but sometimes
does not disengage.  The relay has been replaced, the OD light always goes out, and the
click of the solenoid can be heard.  I removed the solenoid and it snaps smartly in and
out with each application of power.  I changed the trans oil and this solved the problem
for a short time, then back to staying engaged about one out of three times.  What next?

210,765

Might be time for a trans rebuild, at that age, the clutch packs are probably worn or burnt. I'd have it diagnosed by a reputable trans shop in your area.

Check the action of the kick down cable attached to the throttle cable. It can stretch over time and bind up at the throttle or in the trans pan. Best to change it out if it is stretched or malfunctioning. My 1991 240 did the exact same thing. Let it go and it will even stop shifting out of gear properly. Probably not needing a transmission. They go two to three Hundred thousand miles as long as you change the fluid and filter on time. Seek out a Volvo specialist to diagnose it but suspect them if they automatically say it needs a full rebuild.