My 944 seat rails are completely seized.

35

Asked by Jan 31, 2015 at 07:34 PM about the 1984 Porsche 944 STD Hatchback

My 944 has had a sunroof leak for a while before I purchased it.  Now the driver side seat
rails are completely seized. What penetrating fluid should I use?  Or is there an other way
to get the seat out with out damaging it?

1,905

Liquid Wrench may help. I would get a Dremel or drill with a wire brush on the runners first to remove as much surface rust as possible, then get a block of wood and a mallet and try to pound it free. (You would need to rig the seat rail lock mechanism so it is in the 'open' position'.) If that fails, you could unbolt the whole thing from the car and work on it on the bench. There you can try using CLR solution and heat.

35

Thanks Andy. I tried your suggestion but the seat is soo low to the floor that it is almost impossible to get to the right side of the seat to spray the liquid wrench. I will try and use a jack to move the seat and. Update how that goes.

1,905

Do you have a long straw or thin hose you can direct the liquid wrench under the seat?

35

I was able to use an old vacuum hose I had to get the rail to move and was finally able to remove the seat. Woohoo. Now I need new rails. Does anyone know where is can get a new set?

1,905

ebay, Craigslist and local car dismantlers will all carry 944 parts. In the Bay area, I know there are at least half a dozen Porsche dismantlers that would have them.