How can this be fixed

Asked by Mar 03, 2013 at 06:15 PM about the 1993 Dodge Stealth 2 Dr ES Hatchback

when you first start the car and take off, it runs fine. If you stop at a light, to take off, it holds
back even if you step on the pedel all the way. feels like it takes off in third gear. The passing
gear and over drive doesn't work. What could it possibly be?

8,605

Your transmission is going into limp-home mode. It could be a bad battery, a bum voltage regulator, or the computer for the transmission is malfunctioning.

112,235

How long since its had the fluid and filter changed in the transmission? Also something else I have seen is the brakes might be wanting to lock up. Next time it does it drive for a short distant with it holding back then check each brake rotor to see if one is hot(use caution because if this is the issue it can burn your hand) or a safer way to check is when it starts holding back put car in neutral and try to push car. It should push easy. If one is not releasing it is probably the rubber hose going to the brake caliper is bad.

15

I'm sure cause has been found & fixed. But here's my $.02anyway: Could simply be low on fluid? (Use funnel & pour into dipstick tube) But, if fluid looks 'browner' &/ or smells burnt, will quickly crap-out & need to be rebuilt. On my 92 R/T, car felt like it died when leaving a red lite, then a violent 'clunk' like tranny dropped outa car. Within days I lost 1st gear & drive. Had to take off in 2nd, & if hit OD button, dropped to 1st. Fluid smelled burnt. DO NOT TAKE TO AAMCO! I am disabled w/ no credit or $. Got RAPED for $3, 400!!!