engine will idle but will seem like it is starving if you try to get it go rev faster. Where do I start?

Asked by Nov 07, 2015 at 10:17 PM about the 1988 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 Vanden Plas Sedan

engine will idle but will seem like it is starving if you try to get it go rev faster.  
Where do I start?  Fuel supply, injectors, fuel filter etc.

I would recommend you bench test the fuel injectors and run a good quality Injector cleaner or use diesel fuel WHILE ON THE BENCH removed from the car. and also check out the fuel distributor and make sure its tuned up properly. If your getting fuel to the injectors there should not be any issues with the fuel pump its providing enough fuel pressure. And the fuel filter is cheap I would replace it any way. Report back would be glad to help.

Armibaba, I have a limited amount of space, whats needed to test the injectors? Approximate $$$ Thank you for your answer, it gives me a good start.

You can get a Fuel Injector Test kit with full instructions for about $30-$40 on eBay just do the research and make sure your get one equipped for your cars specific injectors Older Jags have a special type of injector fitting. And its not that big the whole kit is about the size of an average laptop or briefcase.