1984 xj6,right gas tank is overflowing, left seems to alway be empty. won't start

5

Asked by Feb 05, 2016 at 01:51 PM about the 1984 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ6 Sedan

saddle tanks.  I filled both tanks up. there was a massive gas leak out the rear
and the front both on the passenger side.  would this be a pressure valve
malfunction and I found a canister up under the front passenger wheel well.  it
was completely empty and the botton "lid" was falling off.  there is also a hose
on the top of that isn't hooked up to anything.  is this where the gas is leaking
out of.  Is that canister supposed to have something in it?

5,195

The old XJ's had a balance tube between the two tanks. It is possible that there may be a kink or obstruction to keep them from balancing. I don't see how if you are filling up both sides at the pump that there is anyway only the left one would be empty unless you are only driving with the left tank.

5

Thank you for your response. After much research and responses I am thinking that the relay in the trunk is working of because you are right I was only using the left tank because overtime I switched over to the right tank it would dump fuel like crazy in the rear and the front. So I'm thinking that the right side selinoid isn't working and maybe the pressure valve that is up front by the charcoal canister thing. That canister is completely empty and the the bottom plate isn't even attached well. Is it supposed to be filled with something.

65,335

This catalog will help you out. The guys at XK's can answer questions if you call them -- http://xks.com/c-194423-xj-6-xj-12- series-i-ii-iii-69-87-xjs-76-95.html

65,335

XKS Unlimited also has a nice print catalog that I recommend you get.

5,195

It sounds like you are on the right track. Valve sounds like very good possibility. keep me posted