Premium fuel?

45

Asked by Jan 09, 2013 at 05:39 AM about the 2010 Ford Crown Victoria LX

I bought a retired Ford Crown Victoria cop car, Police Interceptor, 82,490 miles from LA Sheriff's Office Auction andtion and it says "Premium fuel only" on the door to the gas cap. Do I really need premium or can I harm it itsome way with regular? I got a REALLY good deal but for a reason..I think the cops kinda abused it..but it runs like a champ

Those Crown Vics, at least in 2010, have the 4.6L but have a slightly smaller bore and a correspondingly slightly longer stroke keeping it at 4.6L but giving it higher compression ratio, so yes it will perform much better on premium contrary to most cars that will not get any benefit from premium. Damage? I doubt it, I don't see how it would hurt anything unless it 'pings' on you under hard acceleration. Those engines have many other features.... motor oil coolers and stuff like that so it will help the engine during a long, high speed cruise (or chase), 6 speed transmissions, and yeah, the cops don't have to pay for maintenance do I bet they do drive the s*** out of them. I would.

Best Answer
45

Thanks man you told me other stuff I didn't know. it's beat to hell in the interior, has a plastic back seat, but if anybody wants to ride back there too bad, it does not have the automatic locks on back doors they took them off, but left a cool grill guard/push bar and spotlight, and a big hole in the dash where the light bar control and GPS or something used to be, holes everywhere computer was I got it dirt cheap the speedo goes to 140 but I don't plan on trying that

217,565

The back seats on the inteceptors are always vinyl for the criminals and the locks aren't automatic because you don't want them jumping out. Look online for more info about the P71's.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Crown_Victoria_Police_Interceptor

45

Thanks Tom.... I'll take a look there...this car is getting more interesting all the time

45

Hey also Tom I see you have a really good reputation...you will probably know,.do you agree with DavidH25 about damage to the engine? I always value a second opinion

8,055

You could easily hole a piston if the compression is that much higher than the normal 4.6. The computer will dial back the timing to try to keep that from happening, but it can only do so much. Also, performance and fuel economy will be severely affected by the timing being pulled that far back

10

the power locks are un hooked and the lock rods are removed when toledo sells there old police cars we put then in the trunk as far as the motor goes the oil cooler is the the only add on with police the rest is done with the pcm program the motor is the same as grannys car i have been a police tech for 26 years

22,545

We leave our door lock actuators connected and the oil cooler is standard. Why would one leave the rear doors unlocked? Of course, they can't be opened from the inside handle but child-locks take care of that. What type of oil cooler does your agency add on? Our fleet patrols the Mojave Desert in California and has no need for such an add- on - there's an oil/coolant exchanger in the bottom radiator hose that comes with the car. We don't alter the PCM and I kind of doubt that your agency does either. With Motorola - who needs to?

10

Ours come from ford with the cooler the crown motor is the same as any other just the PCM program is different this is right from ford and any police car we bought the switch is disabled and inside luck rods are removed from the factory