Idle won't go down once engine is warmed up

20

Asked by Dec 01, 2012 at 01:57 AM about the 1988 Ford Festiva L

My idle won't go down to 700-750 rpm once the engine is warmed up.  Whenever I stop, the idle is at about 2000 rpm.  Anybody have problems with this?  Also, I can't find replacement FICB aka choke pull off diaphragm.  anybody know where I can get one?

14,125

Does the choke plate stay closed when warm? Try to manually open it to get normal idle rpm. If choke plate is open and you still have high rpm look for vacuum leak/leaks. On the rpm issue look for vacuum leak/leaks. One way to find them is with a can of starting fluid and spray short bursts of fluid on suspect areas. If you notice increase in rpm you found leak. Once you locate choke pull check for vacuum once up to operating temp. You should have full system vacuum (17in.) approx. To find a choke assembly check RockAuto or salvage yard.

Aztec it may not be the choke, it can also be the IAC controller needs cleaning or the TPS module needs a clean/replace also check leads/plugs/distributor cap for build up and of course the rotor button inside the dizzy cap for wear the festiva's are a very whinge car it only needs something slightly out of wack and can cause idle/running issues, and yes i am a fully qualified mechanic with 20 years behind me have mostly worked on small ford vehicles

Hi I have a Festiva Trio 1.3 EFI and if available the info to Jump Diagnostic outlet as to check Base Idle and Ignition Timing ,please