air conditioning issue

125

Asked by Jul 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM about the 1986 Porsche 928 S Hatchback

I have an 861/2 928 with a 5.0....I just purchased
an expansion valve from Roger at 928, due to the
a/c is not taken in any freon..after I installed the
valve, its still not taken in freon...the a/c
compressor is on but the low side reads 60psi
while the high side reads actually nothing...could
this be a compressor issue or condenser, or
possibly both....please help too hotttttt to drive
this car....unless you want to lose some
weight..lol...thanks Anthony

67,465

You have a blockage in the system. Most likely the accumulator or receiver/ dryer is saturated with moisture. Could also be a bad expansion valve or POA valve if so equipped. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
125

Hi Jim, thank you very much...I removed the dryer to confirm, blockage, and the dryer was completely contaminated....just ordered a dryer from Autohauz warehouse....4 seasons dryer....if this doesnt work, then I will replace everything lol....

67,465

You're welcome. Glad you found the blockage!! -Jim

125

Hi Jim, 1 more question...my 86 928s with a 5.0, has a very slow rev off the line, doesnt even break the tires loose...is this normal for a automatic trans car...and if so, can I advance the timing and will it improve, or just leave it alone...if this is the way it supposed to be, then I will leave it...what do you suggest for more power...on the highway, it goes very strong, but on the streets its very sluggish very slow to rev it to higher rpms...thanks Anthony

67,465

Hi Anthony, you can advance the ignition timing up to 4 degrees safely. Any more and you'll start having drivability issues. They used to call this "power tuning". Check the centrifugal advance in the distributor for proper operation and adjust up the carburetor, if equipped, to specs as well. HTH. -Jim