Anyone know an independent evaluator for a 1989 Porsche 911 Carrera in Charlotte NC area who might be willing to check out a vehicle I am interested in purchasing

Asked by Nov 08, 2016 at 02:53 PM about the 1989 Porsche 911 Carrera

435

PPI or Pre Purchase Inspection is pretty standard process. Look for a Independent Porsche Shop or a dealership. If you find an independent shop they may allow you to be present when the car is in the air. Due to liability issues, the shops are upfront with the inspection. Good luck.

Thanks very much ......for a 1989 vehicle inspection is quite specialized so not sure a Dealer would know,,\\..I will Google independent Porche Shop and see what I find Thanks

1,440

Don't go to a dealer, they have little to no experience on a car that old. Instead get in touch with the Porsche Club of America and get the local branch Club. They'll hook you up with a good Porsche Shop local to you. Nice car, good luck!

OK thanks for the suggestion..will do just that

435

Porche Club may help you find a local Air Cooled guy. Just keep in mind. PPI is pretty standard. And you are not looking for an expert to rebuild or restore the car. PPI looks for Leaks, seals, test drive, Go on the test drive. The car should be wound up in second gear. Let off.... Then, mash the throttle! Look in review mirror. If it is blowing smoke, does not matter what type of car it is,it's bad. If the car is knocking and leaking, you should stay away.

The seller has told me that the vehicle has to be inspected here on the property. They have a lift on site your inspector can use. Test drives will be here on the property as well...the last statement suggests a large property or limited test-driving.. I have not yet responded to this test-drive comment..what do you think?

435

I would check it out. Perhaps, find a mechanic to go with you Or, ask a mechanic what to look for on this model. Have you owned 911's? If so, again, inspect the car for oil leaks, window seals. See how the engine runs, accelerates. Does the engine have strange noises? If you have doubts, you are not committed to purchase. It will be a learning experience.

1,440

Walk away, unless you can get it up to cruising speeds on a highway to check brakes, alignment, steering, acceleration, handling, A/C etc. Also have a few orange cones set out in an area to check out the shocks and sway bars while doing simple slaloms at increasing speeds. These cars are supposed to handle great. Make sure it performs as it should at speed.

Here is what they told me ... I am not happy about this as I agree one should be able to adequately road test...thanks for your suggestions Hey, Due to insurance and the large number of unique vehicles as well as legal agreements with have with our consignors, we do not allow test drives on the roadways. Your inspector can test drive the vehicle in our large multiacre parking lot. He can easily get the vehicle up 50+ mph and take as many laps here as needed. We have a lift here on site he may use to look under the vehicle safely. Let your inspector know we are closed on Sundays and Mondays.

1,440

Anyplace that does not allow test drives should not be in the business of selling cars. Lot or no lot, you should be able to hit 80mph, at least. The business is not set-up to satisfy the customer, I would go elsewhere. Buy with your brain, not your heart.

I agree and will let them know ...I have a 911 1989 owner friend who says the same thing...I will give them the option of changing their mind first and allowing a real test drive ..as it is a beautiful car . But I do appreciate your comments which were very helpful , Colin

1,440

These air cooled cars have a habit of breaking cylinder head bolts. A compression test is mandatory, along with a leak-down test to check the valves. Not doing these tests could be very costly in the long run. Good luck!

Stephen you don't live anywhere near Charlotte do you??? Sounds as though you could really give this 911 a good inspection and work out ...and enjoy it !

1,440

No, I don't live near Charlotte, I'm a Boston yankee on a 6 month vacation in Mazatlan Mexico, but thanks for the offer. Your best bet really is to contact the PCA, N.C. district, for your an inspection shop. The local pca members are a great bunch of guys and will guide you to a good mechanic to inspect and test drive the car. Might cost upwards of $200. But it is money well spent considering the expense of getting a lemon. Again, best of luck!

Agreed to contact Local Porsche Club....I will let you know how I get on..and enjoy Mexico ...we might not be so welcome there in the future. Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions

1,440

Right now, I'm glad to be in Mexico after what happened Tuesday. As an American, I'm embarrassed. My 2000 911 Carrera convertible is now a garage queen, sorry to say. Great cars, easy to care for if you can turn a wrench, and long lasting. Stay away from rip-off dealers, and things like brakes, oil changes and normal wear and tear items are a cinch for most Porsche nuts like myself. Dealers want at least $150 for an oil change. Get your filter from RockAuto and oil from Wal-Mart, might cost you $50-$60 at most. Use German filters like Mann or Miele, you don't have to use Mobil-1 as Porsche says, I use Rotella T-6 synthetic 5W-40. Also, for what it's worth, I add 1oz of Klotz Benol castor oil per liter of oil. Best lubricant on earth, especially for air- cooled engines as yours. Enjoy your new future toy, everytime I drive mine I come home with a smile - awesome cars!

I have contacted PSA ..awaiting info from them on qualified (for 1989 cars) Inspectors ..thanks for the suggestions too