94 dodge shadow won't start, won't crank and gear shift won't shift out of park.

Asked by Apr 17, 2012 at 08:59 PM about the 1994 Dodge Shadow 4 Dr ES Hatchback

405

First, put your key in and turn to on/battery *don't try to start just leave in ON/BATT position*, hold the brake and try to shift to neutral, if it shifts then try to start. Let me know if either works or not so I can further help you. Good luck

Thanks for the help, xxxcityboyxxx. Replaced key cylinder and it turned over but still won't start. It now shifts out of park. Replaced ignition coil and still cranks but doesn't start. Plan on changing the Hall Effect pick-up assembly and see if that does anything.

1,275

you should check to see if you have spark and fuel before replacing parts.

405

I agree with Mike, that was going to be my next question..... When was the last tune up done? Spark plugs, wires, distributor cap/button, etc. Lastly, if any of the before mentioned things have been accomplished and still no start, have a mechanic check out your fuel system and run a diagnostic to make sure the ignition itself isn't bad. Good luck and keep us updated.

Check with all said above, but there is a known problem with these cars with shift lock breaking. The fix is taking apart the gear shift/console and removing a spring. This can cause the key to not come out, and it to not shift out of park.