87'T-Bird, Dim Lights

Asked by Oct 11, 2016 at 02:23 PM about the 1987 Ford Thunderbird LX

I have a 87'T-Bird,that can't be drivin at
night,I've replaced,the bulbs,had lamp
buckets restored,new
adjusters,still,can't see at night,has
anyone else,come across this problem?
And what can be done about it?I have
already spent hundreds of $$$, Still
hard to see, Thank-You

5,725

The fact that you have replaced most of the lighting it would seem that the lens must be light orange by now. Have you polished the lens? If the lights turn on that is about all it could be. The only other thing I can think of is you are not getting 12v to the lamps.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thank-You, (Old-Timer) I did have the buckets restored, I have heard that 87' to 89' T-birds have this problem, I don't know if this is true? I had another Tech.try to install hid lamps,said it wasn't possible.I will check out about if lamps are infact getting 12v's,Thanx again

5,725

Thank you for the best answer check. Also, I forgot to mention, be sure there is a solid ground to the lights also. It seems from what you have told us that you have eliminated everything but wiring. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hello again,I have checked all wiring, And Serviced all the grounds,and still It Scares the he'll out of me,I've got brand new tires,and it seems I hit every Thing laying on the road,at night,really bums me out,cause it's a great driving car.is it possible,that head-light switch combos,have an internal short? Or a secret relay? I'm Tottaly Puzzled?

5,725

I can't blame you for your fears. This is not rocket science and we're not trying to trouble shoot a new Ferrari or some exotic. Without a crystal ball, I am really at my end. I am surprised no one else has jumped in on our conversations if there was something else going on. It appears you have done everything normally possible. I am more at home with classics, 50's and 60's, but 87 is not like a new car.. The only other thing I can think of to check is your day/night auto switch. Honestly,, I am grabbing at straws now but has the car been in a front end collision? There is a AUTOMATIC HEADLIGHT DIMMER RELAY, but it has been discontinued for replacement. Check it. Try http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/ web site. They have a help section. You might try a local Auto Zone if you have one.. They have an extensive library of wiring diagrams and knowledge of any relays, etc

Thank-You,for your Expertise, but I think,I figured it out, This car is meant to be driven in day light hours only. Take-care.

5,725

I'm sorry nothing seems to help. I have never run into a problem like this so I was pulling straws and not from experience. Good luck.