My '66 Ford Thunderbird RH side main door window motor jams (see the details)

Asked by Sep 19, 2014 at 04:11 AM about the 1986 Ford Thunderbird Base

My '66 Ford Thunderbird RH side main door window (new) motor raises the window rapidly, but when it hits the top of the travel will hit the stops hard and jam. The motor wont then move the window down. What is the fix/adjustment for this condition?

88,855

Check the travel stops inside the door they might just be worn out causing the motor to over run the gear at the top of the travel or the regulator is worn out.

Thanks T-shoes, I will follow this up

4,925

You have stops built into the window mechinism that should stop it. Perhaps the top stop is broken, loose or defective in some way.

Thanks oldtimer37 - am checking this out

This is a follow up question to the initial question (above). We replaced the window stops as suggested by tennisshoes and oldtimer37 and this seemed to work for a time but the original problem has returned (the window jams and wont move). Are there any further suggestions? I take it that there is not a travel stop switch or overload switch in the circuit, which if so would indicate the window travel is too forceful or too far. Any other thoughts on this problem would be appreciated.

4,925

There is a limiter switch on the motor but since I have never had mine out, I don't know if it is something that can be adjusted or not

88,855

I have looked through all of my older Ford books on power windows, could not find any with limit switches for the windows, I looked at a window regulator and the only thing I can come up with is there must be something worn out in the regulator system, possibly in the main pivot right where the spring is, as the spring applies tension on the arm so it will be hard to detect, try rolling the window down about half way then try moving it up and down, it should only move slightly, if it moves a lot then the regulator is worn and that could be causing the window over run. It's hard to give you a specific diagnosis online but I think this is your problem, once the window hits the stops the wear in the regulator allows the motor gear to over run the main pivot gear causing the lockup. I hope I've explained this properly so you can understand the over run problem.

Best Answer

Thanks everyone, I will follow these suggestions and get back to you when we get this pesky problem sorted. ChisYakker5077