would it be worth restoring 1985 t-bird 30th anniversity edition

Asked by Nov 29, 2013 at 06:26 PM about the 1985 Ford Thunderbird Elan

body is straight,need interior work has been converted to 4bl carb 2nd.owner

109,905

Do you like the car? Would you be proud of it when you got thru? If your answer is yes then yes. If your answer is no then I would not fool with it.

65,935

Ditto. BTW it came from the factory with a carburetor. HTH. -Jim

no it came with cfi. its a 5.0 do your reseach.

65,935

I did research it. I checked rockauto.com before posting. They list carburetors for this car. Not fuel injection. - Jim

225

It came with Both! In 85 it was an option And, the early CFI's were crap and even some dealers replaced hem with carbs.

65,935

Just double checked cataloging at work (NAPA). Does not show anything for fuel injection for an '85 Thunderbird. Carburetor only. Sorry. -Jim

125

If it will be worth it to you, go ahead! Regarding the word "restoring", I have a 1981 Base T-Bird I bought new. Over the past 32 years I have kept it running. Removed the flight bench. Added electric seats. In 2005 I found a 1980 25th Anniversary Edition, with hood ornament, in a wrecking yard. I stripped out the interior, and put it in my car. Added interval wipers, CD player, 100 amp alternator, electric trunk release, carpeting for the trunk, even the underside of the trunk lid. I installed a 3rd brake light in the rear window. Given there were 2 bulbs in the 3rd brake light, I fed the directional wires to them. I've got the only T-Bird with directionals in the rear window. I have had fun! Can't really call it "Restoration" Go restore the 1985. Oh yes, my 85 Crown Victoria LTD 5.0 has CFI. To date have had no problems with it.

Its CFI not fuel injection. Has AOD trans,carb was not an option with This trans. Only the5.0 mustang H.O with manual trans was offered with the 4bl. carb. Had to put edelbrach intake with Holley 750cfm carb change the ignition system to duraspark 3 and lokar cables for the trans.

225

It's funny, all you pro's I bought a brand new 84 Cougar with CFI, Same as the Thunderbird. This site is nothing but BULLSH(*

65,935

Hey Gerry, apparently they're not the same. I have listings for fuel injectors, etc., for your '84 Cougar. -Jim

possibly,with the exception of Canadian vehicles,all 85 thunderbirds were fuel injected,with EEC 4 engine controls.

10

It had CFI in a 5.0. I owned one I bought right off the lot. Loved that car.

30

I'm the original owner of a1985 T-Bird, limited edtion/anniversary edition. Only 5,000 were made; all the same color, blue. The vehicle has 41,000 original miles, absolutely no accidents, garaged since purchased, digitized dashboard readings, 5.O V8, a/c has slight leak in compressor which has to be recharged every spring after sitting in the garage, both front seats are power, the interior is also blue with velour material. Came with a blue leather jacket, and "anniversary medallions. No accidents, completely original except for the tires. AM/FM radio with cassette player. The Ford dealers are not familiar with the Anniversary Edition, why, I don't know. When I ordered plugs, filters, etc., it was not listed in their parts book. Thunderbird clubs are familiar with this mode.. The vehicle has been registered in NJ since purchased. I would consider selling for a fair price.

10

BBarry10 If you still have this, what would you consider a fair price? Thanks

30

$8,500.00 I think is fair.

I also owned and 85 anniversary Thunderbird elan. The anniversary ones were all optioned almost identically. Unfortunately it's true that they came fuel injected from factory. The injection system was almost identical to general motors TBI, which was a buzz kill from lack of horsepower. They were rated at a measly 145hp. I love the car alot. In fact, I am currently restoring an 84 base model. I've owned 4 birds between 83-86. Awesome cars but difficult to find parts in the rust belt of Wisconsin and Illinois