Front end shocks and struts/

Joe Azzara

Asked by Nov 09, 2014 at 03:04 PM about the 1986 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

I just bought tires for my '86 GT at Firestone tires.  My car has 111,000 miles on it.  I drive
it about 3,000 miles per year.  Firestone says I need front end shocks and struts showing
me play in the wheels.  How much play is the front wheels is normal and do I need to
spend over $1,100 for struts and front end shocks?

Put your knee on the front end number on each side and bounce up and down. And then remove your knee real fast and see if your cars front end on either side is still moving on its own. Do the same for the back. And also do you notice any play in the steering wheel?

Michael Kane

How is the actual ride in the car? If it feels like the car is coming apart when you drive over bumps then yes I would replace them. Firestone is in the business of selling parts and services, I would get another opinion before droping a grand.

If you push down hard on the front fender or the back quarter panel three to four time, it sould not bounce, just level off, This operation should tell if you need struts or shocks, My guest is you don't..If you have some play in your front end, most likely it's your tie rods, or ball joints, GO to ROCKAUTO.COM all there parts are 60% cheaper then Firestone or Belle Tire, and put them on your self and save 900.00$$$$$$ hope this helps

Best Answer
Joe Azzara

Thanks to all. All of your answers were very helpful. The ride is good and I'll monitor tread wear on my new tires. In additional, I'll have my regular professionals, "Mustang Specialties" in Pompano Beach, Fl inspect the front end.