Engine cuts in and out at low level throttle position.

105

Asked by Mar 15, 2014 at 01:31 PM about the 1986 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

After running for about an hour the engine cuts out at low level throttle pedal position  If I
accelerate or take my foot off the pedal it stops doing this.  All sensors have been
replaced, new wires, distributor cap and rotor.  Other than this, runs strong and smooth.  
Any ideas.  Replace distributor?  Replace throttle body?

23,455

All sensors? That's a ton of money! Usually, the cause of hesitation on acceleration is a spark plug wire. A worn out TPS can also cause it. But you said that you replaced all the sensors and plug wires. Distributor and Throttle body have nothing to do with your concern. It won't run with a distributor concern. The Throttle body really only affects Idle. You can remove the throttle body and clean out the IAC and the Throttle plates. A sticking IAC might contribute to your concern. Have you checked the EEC-IV system for codes? It doesn't have a MIL (Check Engine light), so you wouldn't know if there are any codes unless you check. The only other contributor besides a failing Ignition Coil that comes to mind is the MAP sensor - but you said that you changed all the sensors.

Best Answer