89 Bronco II (2) Auto Transmission Fluid.

Asked by Jun 17, 2015 at 11:18 AM about the 1989 Ford Bronco II XLT 4WD

So, I've checked the fluid (via dipstick) while car was idling and hot.. and there's not a
drop of fluid on it...

I literally just got the bronco and don't know much about it. I know it's leaking oil, and
now I'm assuming transmission fluid... My question is HOW do you add transmission
fluid? I've literally never had to add tranny fluid to a vehicle.. I'm pretty mechanically
inclined, but I don't see anywhere EXCEPT the dipstick tube on how to access
transmission fluid.... My brain says "Just add it through the dipstick, dummy".. but
since I've never messed with the transmission on a car - I didn't want to screw
something up.

also, what weight fluid should be used?

89,035

Yes you do add it through the tube, just make sure you have the tranny tube and not the engine oil tube, the tranny one is the larger of the 2. Make sure you use the correct fluid, it is listed on the tranny dipstick. I find it odd that you don't have some kind of shifting problem if there is no fluid on the dipstick.

Best Answer
89,035

And it is automatic transmission fluid not gear lube, so the weight is not a factor here.

Thank so much! I've noticed when putting it into reverse it shifts kinda hard.. Other than that, it's rather smooth... Maybe between 1st and second a bit hard too.. and there was fluid on the dipstick when the engine was cool and not running. so there is fluid there. Do I add it while the engine is running and hot as well or leave it cool and off?

89,035

Engine at operational temp and idling, trans in park. I would add 1 pint then recheck the level, and check it more than once just to make sure of the reading. add just enough fluid to put the level into the hash area on the stick.

Great. Thanks again! Like I said, I assumed - but I didn't want to screw something up worse without double checking!

89,035

I owned a couple of these in my time, they seem to work fairly well for just general stuff.

120

if I remember good take type f fluid