1988 ford bronco 2 xlt motor ticking issues on highway.

5

Asked by Feb 24, 2014 at 09:05 PM about the 1988 Ford Bronco II XLT

I have a 88 ford bronco 2 xlt 2 wheel drive v6 2.9 liter electronic fuel injected motor. When
I travel on the highway going 65 withing 5 or 10 minutes a loud ticking almost knocking
noise starts until I get of the highway and goes on side streets that are slower. The oil
was a little low but I refilled it and it still ticked bad. Any cheap solutions? I believe it
wasn't a top end issue from what I could hear but I may be wrong.

97,165

I had a bronco 2 that did the same thing, turned out the engine had cam bearing trouble, pressure was good until it warmed up then the pressure would drop to less than 6 LBS, not enough to lube the top end, pulled the engine and rebuilt it no more trouble.

5

Any clue what a price would be for parts and labor? Im new to mechanics and know very little and lack all the tools. And would I have to rebuild everything or just the top part of the engine? Lastly when you say rebuild you mean replace everything or just the can bearings?

97,165

I would not have any idea what it would cost retail, I did the work myself in my shop, on the weekend, at that time the parts were under 500 bucks. You might be better off putting in a "crate" engine if you plan on keeping it.