If my starter is going out, can I still try to start the vehicle so I can get it home from the gas station where it is parked right now?

Asked by Nov 06, 2015 at 07:20 PM about the 1986 Ford Bronco II STD 4WD

I went to the gas station and the car would not start. I should I go back and see if it starts? I am a single woman and I don't want to ruin my car. Thanks.

95,715

What can it hurt? Was the car making noise like some kind of damage was occurring? If so maybe it should be towed to a shop but I would try starting it. Maybe it just flooded and after sitting it might just start right up.

Sure, try to start it. Does it turn over and not start or just nothing? If it turns over, extended cranking is not good. After a few seconds it will either start or not. Long cranking will just burn up starter and battery

95,715

You also posted that the starter was making grinding noises. I would get it fixed right away because if you grind the teeth off your flywheel it could cost you a grand to fix. One try won't hurt much though but don't keep grinding!!!

24,695

Yeah don't ruin it- if it won't start just have it towed to the shop-