86 bronco II wont start

Asked by Feb 26, 2017 at 02:36 AM about the 1986 Ford Bronco II XLT 4WD

running great then went to store came out and wouldn't start. changed filter in
tank and in line filter, pumps are working, good fuel pressure. new fuel relay,
put new spark plugs in the old ones were oil fouled. my engine does not have
a crank sensor so it is not that. I am at a loss can any one help

100,475

Three most common failures on the Bronco 2 or any Ford in that era is, ignition module, distributor pickup coil and the ignition coil itself. So grab your test light, unplug the ignition coil and turn on the key then test for power on the positive side connection of the coil connector, if no power possible ignition switch or blown fuse, if you have power then test for a trigger signal form the ignition module, put one end of the test light on positive wire or battery post the other on the negative wire on the coil connector, crank,the engine and watch for a flashing light, if you have a flashing light then replace the ignition coil, if no flashing light then replace the ignition module and retest for trigger signal, if still no trigger signal then replace the distributor pickup coil inside the distributor. If the ignition module and the pickup coil have never been changed then now would be a good time to replace them both. Note all of this is assuming that the wiring is in good shape. HTH

Best Answer Mark helpful
100,475

Thanks for the best answer points. I Hope I was able too help.

ok so i tested coil and I have power. Then I tested module and there was no blinking light, so I changed it out and now there is a blinking light. but it still didn't start. The distributor is only 2 years old, I had this simular problem back in 2014 and it turned out to be the pickup coil in the distributor. trying to track it down then drove me crazy. sense then everything has been good until a month ago this same thing happened and i went through the steps starting at starting silinoid and followed the chain of comand will say and when i got to the fuel relay it started after i changed it out. but can you think of anything else?

100,475

Ok so if you now have a trigger signal and battery power to the coil and still no spark then the coil is bad, one other thing I forgot is make sure you have battery power to the coil during cranking, some of these older Fords over time loose that connection inside the ignition switch. HTH

I have trigger signal with out neg wire pluged into the coil, but if i plug neg. wiire in i don't get trigger signal coming out of that wire.

isn't there a way i can test the module myself with out machine

100,475

Not really, a good test machine can "stress" the module like it would be in the vehicle, if you have a NAPA store near you they should have a test machine.

I just recently had the same problem. Tried to start it and it wouldn't even try to turn over. Just clank. I also thought it was my starter or sylinoid. My distributor cap got knocked loose some how. Tightened it up and retimed it and now it runs great.

I know I'm way late. But I had this same problem and it was the inertia switch, located on the passenger side of the cab. There's a reset switch on top. Hold it down and it should start but you'll still have to replace it, or (more dangerous) just bypass it.