I have a 1989 Ford Bronco. I started it up, ran fine. When I put it in reverse it died. I put it back in park adn tried starting it agin. It cranks but won't turn over. Can anyone help? Thanks, Jenny

35

Asked by Jan 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM about the 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 4WD

1,115

I've always referred to cranking and turning over as the same thing. Does the starter spin the motor? Do the fan blades move when you engage the starter? If the motor turns when the key is turned first start by listening for a fuel pump buzz when you turn the key to the run position. If no buzz, then fuel pump problem. If buzz, then ignition problem. Check ignition by pulling off a spark plug wire, stick a screwdriver in wire and hold metal shaft about 1/4 -1/2 inch away from a metal piece of the engine, make sure you use a rubber handled screwdriver or gloves, or try to prop it in sucha way you don't have to touch screwdriver. Crank engind, it should arc a spark between screwdriver shaft and metal part. If not first guess would be ignition module.

495

The most common problems with trucks these days will be in your fuel.Keeping your fuel system clean is a must. Most all mechanics will tell you that our fuel is made cheaper (no cleaning agents) and costs more these days.As our fuel systems become more complex, the clean quality (not monitored by gov.) is suffering so the refineries can save a few bucks. FACT! Your problem sounds like many years of slowly down grading gas. Check fuel pressure at the fuel rail (injectors are attached to it). Simply locate the stem under the black plastic cap, stand back and depress with key on engine off. Fuel pumps are NOT always heard......

495

Computer crashed sorry. As pumps age the become quiter. I bought my 1990 bronco with a 4.0 liter real cheap and it had low fuel pressure(meaning bad fuel filter) instead of no fuel pressure ( always the pump!) The pump was silent leading the man to believe bad pump. After checking it out at home,I was lucky and he was misinformed. If pressure is usable, it may be a pluged injector. "OUTLAW" fuel injector cleaner is the vary vary best.

there is a reset switch on the driver's kick panel that will shut off all high pressure fuel. Must have bumped into something with your front bumper. Push and reset this switch...that will fix your ride!

Best Answer
35

@ bob_nueske , I found the switch, reset it adn it fired right up. However the switch tripped and it wouldn't start back up again. Do I need a new switch and if so what is its proper name so I can order one? Thanks a million, Jenny

35

@ bob_nueske , Once i reset it a second time it fired up again. Thanks, Jenny

@jenny. The switch in your front bumper that tells the onboard switch "shut off all fuel, you're in a collision" needs to be shown that you are in fact NOT in a collision. Find this switch in your front bumper. That'd be the switch to look for~ Never actually seen one, but they are there...in theory.

495

INERTIA switch. It MUST HAVE a rust free ground.

35

@ Greg0Linda2 I located the switch, it is on the drivers side just behind the kick panel directly behind the brake pedal. It is black and has a round button on top and the underside of the button is red. It pops up. If I push it down, push it back up and down again the Bronco starts right up.

495

The switch acts like it is working fine. Congrads thou, You just figured out a " mechanics trick " that allows us to figure out if it is fuel related or electrical problem. The switch was made for killing the fuel pump in case of a crash, by felling the interuption of normal running operations during said crash.If there is no crash and the switch is working right than the only other way your switch will trip is if it is jared or fuel problems are present. RE: My 1st answer.

495

I have 1 more note to add. Your fuel system is plugged. ( dirty fuel filter,plugged injectors)

I have the same Bronco... Does the button need to be pushed in to get fuel or??? I am having the same problem.. I was driving along and it just died and will not start back up..