How do I free a stuck flywheel?

Asked by Mar 08, 2014 at 11:36 AM about the 1987 Ford Bronco XLT 4WD

I have an 87 bronco 1. I was riding
through some water that wasnt very
high and it died. Tried starting it back
but it just clicked. I've changed yhe
starter and solienoid and then
discovered the flywheel wont turn. I
dont know the next step to fix the
problem. Please help..

101,375

Make sure no water is in the exhaust pipes. If exhaust still full of water it may not turn over. The whole air in and exhaust out thing. Just a thought

101,375

Are you sure no water went in intake? Might want to remove spark plugs and then try to turn it over. Water won't compress. If it turns over this way I would double check for water in exhaust.

21,745

Flywheels don't just get stuck. The engine could have a hydraulic lock due to water ingestion (as dandyoun stated) or you may have bent a Connecting Rod. Remove the plugs as suggested and see what happens. These situations don't usually have a good outcome. Sorry.

I took out all the spark plugs (most had water on them) but the flywheel still wont turn.

101,375

Can't turn it over with all the plugs out of it. Oh that not good at all. Has is sit for a few days or so with the water in it? If so try spraying some lubricant in the spark plug holes. Let it set for a few hours then use a wrench on you harmonic ballancer and try to easily turn it over. Maybe you will get lucky and just the rings have seazed to cylinder walls. If it turns. Turn it slowly by hand for several revolutions. Keep your fingers crossed you might get lucky and not have major damage to cylinder walls.

Best Answer
101,375

Keep in mind that everywhere the water went in the engine has the potential to have dirt and or sand. (If it was muddy water). Engine will need a good internal cleaning if just water but if any chance of dirt or sand in there you would probably be money ahead to just tear it down and do a full cleaning and motor rebuild. Dirt and sand mixed with oil or gas equals liquid sand paper in you engine.

Thank y'all for the help. Much appreciated