Why do I not have power?

Asked by May 30, 2014 at 04:51 PM about the 1986 Ford Bronco STD 4WD

I ave an '86 Bronco w/a 351 Windsor engine, I have replaced the starter and the solenoid, but my truck will not start and there is no power inside.  I can jump the solenoid and the engine cranks, but it does start.  What am I missing?

104,425

Check for some blown fuse links right there at the starter solenoid on the battery side connection.

715

Also check your grounds. A bad ground can cause this. Afaulty ignition switch could do the samething. Remove the dash section beneath the steering column. Once removed you should see the nuts you need to remove so column can drop. You should see the ignition switch. With the key in the off position use a test light and check for power at the switch. If you have power going into the switch.then turn the key in the on position and recheck if you have power coming back out from different wires. BTW There might be a few sending power out. If nothing changes then I would replace switch. It's been awhile since I worked on a bronco. So here goes; the wires are red,redw/orange stripe and maybe purple but don't quoat me on that. Make sure and check all your grounds.

I must have a linkable fuse bad