My 95 stealth rt died and won't turn over.

10

Asked by Aug 17, 2014 at 09:02 PM about the 1995 Dodge Stealth 2 Dr R/T Hatchback

I recently had the tranny replaced in my
dodge stealth rt ...ran fine for a couple
weeks then started making a sound that
sounded like a heat shield rattling. Then
sittin at an idle just died all the sudden and
will not turn over.

101,745

First I would pull timing belt covers and check the belt. If belt broke or jumped time pistons might be bound up on the valves not allowing it to turn over.

10

Timing belts were in good shape...didn't check to see if it jumped time though...pulled starter and cannot turn flywheel. So it has to be bound up tight somewhere. But don't think it would have jumped time at such low rpm's

10

Also the starter was not locked up but when turn the key can't hear the starter even try to engage.

31,295

Can you pull the starter and have it checked? But before you do, try starting it in neutral. With any luck it's a neutral cut off switch.

10

I will give it a try tomorrow...with the starter out I will bump the key and see if it engages...maybe some sort of electrical problem?? But would that cause car to die all of the sudden if it was electrical?

31,295

Some how you lost power to the ECU. Check your relays and fuses as well as ground straps. Start there.

10

Ok...but it worries me that I am not able to turn the flywheel or would I even be ably to turn it?

31,295

Are you worried that the engine is frozen? If you can get a wrench on the bolt that holds on the harmonic balancer and give it a twist. If it moves you can remove frozen motor from the list.

101,745

Rattling sure sounds like a timing belt tensioner giving up the ghost and if it jumped time at an idle the piston would have got hung on the valve rather than out right bending it. Hope I am wrong but have seen it many many times. Thing is if that happened damage is already done. Try to turn it with a wrench on harmonic balancer. If it will turn a little in either way then stop you are hitting valves. The safest way to do this is to remove the timing belt. Your cams will roll to their neutral state and out of the way of the pistons (if they not already bent). Have seen guys bend their own valves by hand using the wrench method to turn it over. Good luck. Maybe not a timing issue.

10

Yeah it sounded just like a heat shield rattling but never could find it.