I got a 1983 for bronco with a 351 in it and in the morning or whenver i try to start it for the first time of the day it takes awhile for it to start and i have to pump the gas sometimes, but after that it usally can start right up untill the next day?

Asked by Aug 03, 2014 at 12:22 AM about the 1983 Ford Bronco STD 4WD

33,435

Sounds like it's fuel related. As it sits the fuel pressure backs off. How much do you want to spend to fix this?

33,435

Hummmmmmm. Thats a carborated engine. Your going to have to set the choke when it's cold. So stepping on the gas pedal is to be expected.

i would spend around a couple hundred of possible?

and its not cold out right now so i shouldnt have to tap the gas, and awhile back it started just fine but i let it sit for a winter and didnt start it could that have messed anything up?

33,435

Yeah. It is getting a long in the tooth. The choke should reset itself. I think if it's only pumping the gas pedal a few times that's worth a few hundred dollars. Bit that's just me. Look on the side of the carburetor and see if there's a round device about the size of a silver dollar and has a vacuum line hooked up to it. It should also be connected to the choke mechanism. That's a good place to start.

33,435

Cool. Let me know.

That is not a big problem though is it? Could i possible fix it myself?

And i will let you know :).

It is also a manual choke

33,435

How dose it start in this warm weather after it sits all night and you use the choke at first try?

It still takes awhile, I am taking it in the shop Tuesday or Wednesday to get the carb rebuilt you think that will fix it?

33,435

Explain to the shop just what is going on. Perhaps they know of a way to adjust the carburetor and not rebuild it. Also, dose this shop have experience in rebuilding carburetor's? It's becoming a lost art.

Yah they do got experience In it. And I will explain what it's doing.

But when its cold outside like in the winter it is almost impossible to start it is there any solution on that as well?

33,435

Have the shop check the fuel pump. It's possible that the pump isn't getting fuel to the carburetor fast enough. Maybe it's time for a electrical fuel pump.

Alright man Ty for the help I will keep you updated on it man.

33,435

Yeah. Let me know. And ask the shop what they think of the electric fuel pump.

Ok I will man and I will let you know what they say.