please help with my 1991 ford e150 conversion van 5.0L

Asked by Jul 24, 2015 at 07:53 PM about the 1991 Ford E-150 Econoline Ext

1991 ford e150 conversion van mark 3, was idling high, very high, tried to screw throttle
screw(not sure what its called but the screw that you un screw that is where the
throttle thing is on the motor) it was all the way screwed out. i put new spark plugs,
wires, air filter, breather filter on it, every since it still idles very high just like before, but
now it also overheats. i have tried turning the distributor, that definitely makes it idle
somewhat lower but then it will not drive, it bogs down and you can not even go 5 to
10mph. when i say idles high, the van will go 45mph without ever touching the gas
pedal on a straight stretch and some small hills. i would really appreciate any
suggestions on this, hopefully its cheap, have exhausted alot of money in it the past
week. and cant afford much more. thank you in advance

19,180

Clean throttle body and idle air control valve add fuel injector cleaner to gas tank.

22,725

Guessin gets expensive doesn't it? Why not give a mechanic that money and save yourself the trouble?

ok i will try that hopefully today "firebird" thank you. I was thinking idle air control valve. jamnblues: i wish i could, but i dont have money like that. i am a very broke father to 3 kids that is going thru a split and has no place to live and trying to get the one vehicle i have to run so that i can get my kids to school and me to work. but would be great if that was a possibility.

Vehicle speed sensor needs to be replaced. I had the same trouble on this very same van. Around $150 at transmission shop that Includes parts