E150 straight 6 no srark.

Asked by Aug 27, 2013 at 07:45 PM about the 1989 Ford E-150 XL Super Econoline Ext

It was idling for a few minutes than quit. Checked for spark, had non. Checked for voltage at the coil, had 12v. Removed the coil and put 12v to it from the battery and went from the stud to the coil ground and it was very week. So I replaced the plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and the coil. Still have no spark. What am I doing wrong, PLEASE help.  Jeff

there is a "module" that uses semi-conductors for switching the high voltage signals...yes ford has an ignition module~ you might check into that one...also the system ground 1/0 cable to chassis connection has to be comfortable with 300 cold cranking amps~

module.

96,935

I agree with judge, but be careful when you replace the module that you don't pull out the connector wires for the pickup coil, or you will be replacing that too.

there is also a sender inside the distributor...I bought a special tool to service this and perhaps used it twice in my career as a mechanic 93-96~

I remember having to pull the distributor completely out and drive a tiny roll pin at the base holding the spur helical gear on...and also remember having a fine time trying to put it back into the motor and could only reflect on the VW bosch distributor that had a D ring so that you could only put it in one way...the correct way~

yes I remember the 2.9 liter 6....takes a bit of a fashion to service this electronic ignition system~

yes...I remember it now...the "distributor sensor" for the electronic ignition sensor must be replaced....good luck...not for the inexperienced~

24,995

Module and Stator - very common failure for that vintage. If the wiring pulls out of the stator, it was junk anyway. Set the engine to TDC, pop the distributor cap and make note of the location of the rotor and direction of the module. Pull the distributor, remove the Module (7/32" deep socket - usually) knock out the roll pin, press the gear off of the distributor, clean the distributor shaft or risk pressing out the bushings as well, replace the stator, pressing the drive gear back on - in the right position - yes, the hole for the roll pin is off-set in the gear and the shaft, re-align the distributor whilst engaging the oil pump shaft, hook up the electrics, setting the ignition timing (don't forget to pull the SPOUT plug - did I miss anything? :)~ We did these like candy in the late 80's.