what would cause the temp gauge in my 1985 Ford E150 to go to hot when lights are turned on, wipers are turned on, brake pedal is depressed, heat is turned on, or van put in reverse?

10

Asked by Aug 09, 2015 at 02:31 PM about the 1985 Ford E-150 STD Econoline

when I start the van and run it without running any of the "accessories" the temp gauge
stays right in the middle of the normal range.  However, when ever I turn on just one of
these "accessories" ( headlights, interior lights, brakes, heater, wipers, reverse lights) the
temp gauge moves quickly to hot.  Engine is not overheating when this occurs.

115

Sounds like some sort of wire shortage.

10

that is what i was thinking. Any thoughts as to where I should look for the shortage?

115

Man that could be a mystery!! I would start with fuses first. Pull out one by one or perhaps all the fuses and see which ones are the culprit. Otherwise your chasing wires in the endless speggiti bowl

10

I was afraid you were going to say that. Thank you tho for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate it

115

Hey at least your not redoing 91 mit's 3000 r&r motor belts pump motor mount clutch axles the whole 9 yards! LoL

59,225

That's going to be a bad hot wire somewhere. A bad ground would force it to cold. HTH. - Jim

10

thanks Jim. That does make sense. Any suggestions on where to start?

59,225

You're welcome. Glad to help. I'd start at the headlight switch. In one way or the other everything you mentioned is connected there. Either by the illumination of the dash, interior lights, etc. I'd definitely check the fuses for these circuits as well. Sometimes if one blows it can upset other circuits by letting power "bleed" through. If you have and aftermarket stereo. They can be a source of trouble as well. HTH. - Jim

10

thank you again Jim. I will check those items out and I will keep you posted on the outcome. Thank you again. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

10

does anyone know what the relay on the passenger side coming from the computer is called?