tires 205/75r15 to 235/75r15

Asked by Oct 04, 2009 at 10:10 PM about the 1995 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr WS Standard Cab SB

my 95 dakota came with 205/75r15 and i want to put 235/75r15 in the back. will this do more harm then good to the brain and the dash?

95

If its a 4 wheel drive it can cause excessive damage in the transfer case. As far as the question you're asking, you'll be travelling more distance per revolution of tire travel which can throw off the data picked up from your computer and speedometer. It won't throw it off that much for the rear end but, if its a 4 wheel drive then electrically the computer sees a different signal from the rear to the front. The choice is yours, with all the electrical data monitored and sent by onboard computers in vehicles, it's best to leave things the way they were engineered to be. It's your truck, but I have never seen a truck come off the dealer lot with different sized tires between the front and rear end.

45

NO it should not I run 235/75/R15 on my '94 dakota V6 and its just fine

Best Answer

thats good to hear, by the way, what did you hit?

95

I never said that size of tire wouldn't FIT onto the rims of your truck, or that it would rub on the rear wheel wells or cause damage to the tire. If you came into my shop and I, as a technician, advised you and installed these tires without first finding out this info: 1.Is the truck is 4 wheel drive 2.Where your ABS sensors are integrated 3. What type of tire pressure monitoring system your type of vehicle has 4.Did I run the VIN number through the computer and check against against technical service bulletins and recalls or any other check specific to your vehicle (causing damage to other systems) It would come back onto the company and then onto me as the technician who installed the incorrect sized tires. Professionally, without knowing these things, it would be a disservice to a customer saying that it would be ok. I must advise ALL possible repercussions as a matter of ethics, fact, and legality. I wasn't trying to say you couldn't install them, I was trying to explain the possibilities of what could be affected. As stated previously, it is your vehicle, not mine ~ and I am not the one working on it. Year, make, and model doesn't tell me everything I would need to know to advise any differently. Rob

45

a subaru outback

just to let you know: 1:2wd 2: abs on truck 3: 40psi 4: no recalls that tire size is optional, in my first post i did not say all 4. i said in the back. read carefully and dont jump the gun on bs. everybody can say you are sayin'. by the way, even tho im not a tech, i got the same knowledge as you. im not trying to come on hard but dont jump the gun. the truck rides like a towncar now with those bigger tires in the back. this is my first dodge truck and i dont want to mess it up.

nice one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2,875

the only problem you will have is throwing off the speedo and odometer.

its only 1 or 2 off so im not going to mess with it.

2,875

your speedo/odometer will read 6.5% too slow. ie when your speedo reads 60 you'll actually be doing 64

175

I run 215/25r15s on mine. The coudn't warrenty mine cuz they're "too big" they also told me the tires were 235s which they aren't. Idk, my trucks already so fubarred it didnt seem to do anything. you can also go into the computer and tell it what size tires its got

in otherwords i just need to reprogram the truck and that's it? is it a chip or a scan tool?