Intermittent starting problem

Asked by Jul 21, 2015 at 02:48 PM about the 1988 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr SR5 4WD Extended Cab SB

I have an intermittent problem (Electrical) with starting, hot or cold does not affect this. I have replaced starter, both starting relays, ignition switch (Electrical portion), battery (It was due), and replaced a section of wiring from relay to starter solenoid in engine compartment. Started immediately for about 2 months, now problem has returned.

I had the same issue with my '89 pickup. Would drive it some place, get back in, and nothing. No click or anything. Let it sit for a while and bang, it would start. I believe the issue is the distributor. I never really went to the trouble of figuring it out. I just installed a push button under the dash and ran a hot wire from the battery to the button and then I spliced into the ignition wire and ran that to the push button. If the truck refused to start, I would just hit the push button and it would start every time without fail. I just figured the truck was so old, why bother sinking a ton of money into it?

Best Answer

Thanks reelin68, this is to be my last resort fix. I did some more diagnostics and found the hot wire from ignition switch to starter relay has some resistance somewhere in the line, so I cut both ends, one at the switch connector, the other at the relay plug and spliced in a #10 wire. This showed no resistance after retesting, so hopefully this is the answer. If not I will take your advice and install a remote switch. Now when you installed this, can you start from both key and remote?

Yes, if key fails, just hit the push button.

Great, thanks for your help.