Intermittent starting problem

10

Asked by Jul 21, 2015 at 02:48 PM about the 1988 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr SR5 4WD Extended Cab SB

I have an intermittent problem (Electrical) with starting, hot or cold does not affect this. I have replaced starter, both starting relays, ignition switch (Electrical portion), battery (It was due), and replaced a section of wiring from relay to starter solenoid in engine compartment. Started immediately for about 2 months, now problem has returned.

40,465

I had the same issue with my '89 pickup. Would drive it some place, get back in, and nothing. No click or anything. Let it sit for a while and bang, it would start. I believe the issue is the distributor. I never really went to the trouble of figuring it out. I just installed a push button under the dash and ran a hot wire from the battery to the button and then I spliced into the ignition wire and ran that to the push button. If the truck refused to start, I would just hit the push button and it would start every time without fail. I just figured the truck was so old, why bother sinking a ton of money into it?

Best Answer
10

Thanks reelin68, this is to be my last resort fix. I did some more diagnostics and found the hot wire from ignition switch to starter relay has some resistance somewhere in the line, so I cut both ends, one at the switch connector, the other at the relay plug and spliced in a #10 wire. This showed no resistance after retesting, so hopefully this is the answer. If not I will take your advice and install a remote switch. Now when you installed this, can you start from both key and remote?

40,465

Yes, if key fails, just hit the push button.

10

Great, thanks for your help.

10

I am experiencing some starting (electrical) problems as well. Hugmar mentioned two starter relays. Where are these located? I would be up to wiring in a push button switch, but uncertain which wires to splice into. Can anyone shed some light on the subject.

10

BTW This relates to a 94 Toyota truck ex-cab 22 re 2wd

40,465

Brad, if you are having an intermittent start issue, it wouldn't be a relay issue. Once they fry, you won't be able to start the truck. Not to say it can't be loose. Look under the hood by the battery. Should be a black box on the drivers side. Open it up and look at the schematic under the cover. What exactly are your symptoms?