I have a 1988 toyota pickup 22r and it is losing coolant through the exhaust. No steaming or misfire, about a pint nof coolant a mile.

35

Asked by May 19, 2016 at 07:22 AM about the 1988 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr STD Standard Cab SB

15,685

I say head gasket or cracked block the only path into the exhaust stream. No overheating that's unusual?

35

just overheats when the coolant gets low. other than that it is still a 125 mph 22r!! haven't had it that fast in aq long time.

15,685

Do the coolant leak drill. Check the oil is it contaminated with coolant...white looking mix. Next test the coolant directly from the radiator use a chemical test kit check for CO a combustion by product then you can confirm the issue. Or pull the plugs and do a reading compare them. Do they all look the same I doubt it.

66,505

Likely a head gasket or cracked head. Oil and coolant will not always be mixed when a head gasket fails. If you sure that coolant is going out the exhaust pipe and there is no route for coolant to get into the intake manifold then the cylinder head needs to be pulled. Some people on here suggest using a product that will supposedly seal leaking head gaskets. This may be a last ditch effort, but I wouldn't do it. I would pull it apart and repair it myself or get a reputable mechanic to do the repair.

118,365

I have seen a few of these crack behind the valves close to the guide and never develop a cold start miss or the typical coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant, but used coolant and would also pass the block test. So if you do tear it down make sure you have the head pressure tested as well as milled, cause you don't want to go right back in there and do it again.

35

Almost 40 years of working on engines whenever i get home and never saw one do this.; AND THANKS.! And it is coming out the exhaust. not a leak anywhere. I put a 14lb radiator cap on and it really came out then. Think the original is 6 or 9. 2 back surgeries and a hip replacement, I can't work on it like i once did.the exhaust had the sweet smell like antifreeze. going through the exhaust how does it not steam>

118,365

Not enough coolant to make it through the catalyst, the ones I found also never steamed, none of the traditional symptoms, just a steady coolant loss, no external leaks.

35

I puled ( well i didn't do it ) the plugs out and everyone had black sooty coat on them. Number one had the sooty coat but it had a oily texture on it,maybe a little coolant. Didn't feel like oil. No oil in the radiator. Flushed it out just to make sure. It is not missing but number one is not hitting like it should. Can tell a little difference when i pull the wire off. Put the#2 plug in the #1 hole but didn't any difference. Looks like #1 is the culprit but to figure it out it seems i will have to pull the head. Anyone have any suggestions i would love to hear them before i pull it off. Thanks everybody!!!

118,365

Run a cold dry compression, then squirt a little oil in each cylinder and do a wet compression test, then compare the 2 readings, if the wet compression is a lot higher than the dry, then you also have ring or cylinder wall trouble. If you have a bore scope you could look down into each cylinder and see if there is any damage before pulling the head.

6,675

HEAD Gasket!~ http://www.partsgeek.com/jjpqjyh-toyota-pickup- head-gasket.html? utm_source=shoppingcom&utm_medium=pf&utm_content=dc&utm _campaign=PartsGeek+ShoppingCom&fp=pp&utm_term=Toyota+ Head+Gasket

35

What would be the gas mileage for a 1988 toyota 22r. Had a 1990 that got about 28 mpg. Someone rebuilt this engine( 1998 22r) but no paper work came with it.I tried it 1 time and about 60 mph i floored it and it went well past the 110 mph on the speedometer. No peeling out or anything like that. Never saw one that did this. Not a hot-rodder on these Toyotas. Any one with experience on these engines tell me anything? And due to medical problems have not solved the mystery of loosing coolant out the exhaust. I'm keeping all of the information you have provided on it so far. Thanks guys.

118,365

The 88 will not get the mileage the 98 got but it should be in the 20's. I had a Toyota that got 22MGP.

Best Answer Mark helpful
35

The 88 got about 17 to 18 mpg.Thought that was pretty low for a 22r but i guess the transmission or the rear end is geared different than the 90 was. thanks

6,675

cracked block tested easy with a compression tester~