Toyota 22r #3 has no response free running, i.e., UNLOADED

Carlton Lovejoy

Asked by May 01, 2014 at 03:03 PM about the 1984 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr Deluxe 4WD Extended Cab LB

This is a doozie ! A challenge to 'the best'

2 bbl carb, no computer application

# 3 cylinder has 'no response' to pulling the plug wire off at idle or revved up free running.

Compression matches other cylinders at 155
Swapped plug wires
Swapped plugs
Rotated cap 180 degrees

More tests next day and after a 'chassy' answer offered on this site.

remember my issue.

Valves are perfect - never stick, are not burnt,, and are set correctly. guides and springs fine.

Here's the real neat and terrible fact :

This is a free running problem (no load) .. like I say, you can unplug #3 cylinder and get NO RPM decrease ! , this is during idle or when you just rev the non-loaded engine.

When you drive under load it is fine . How did I prove this ? I drove the truck 'as is', THEN I drove with #3 cylinder wire removed, THEN I felt what a truly DEAD #3 would be.

Then thinking that Under Load, it was working ok , I went up a 30 degree grade , in 4th gear, at 1000 RPM - not a single stutter, putter, or anything - just smooth ..AGAIN
demonstrating it was working under load. Incidentally, under acceleration feels , is, perfect too.

So back to square one. WHY is it at idle or revved (with no load besides engine itself) does this #3 contribute NOTHING, it's amazing to unplug the wire and nothing changes with the engine rev ... whereas any of the other wires 2,3,4 cut down idle speed to almost vehicle not able to idle ! You can hear at the exhaust tip constant putter.

This is truly going to answered by a 'mastermind' or luck ?

It has every mechanic .... so far .. baffled. It must be so simple though

Incidentally, data not put in the first report is that 'the compression rise characteristic' of #3 is identical to 2,3,4.

#3 sounds like it is too lean at idle, have you checked for vacuum leaks at the intake gasket, fracture in the runner, also check the cam lobes make sure you are getting the proper lift.

Best Answer
Carlton Lovejoy

Intake Manifold Leak Tester, Had #3 dead (95%) at idle or free revved but working FINE under load. Many a mechanic said, "no way", but one person on Cargurus gave the solution, "tennisshoes". Congratulations, you accepted the info I submitted as TRUE and figured from there. I bow to you ... and I am really smart. My 'localised ether' is on a bendable copper wire, that way I could snake it up from the bottom for exact delivery to the manifold mate to the engine. My ether photo would not load ... satellite failing ... I know ... you got a fix for that .... it's called Google Fiber, but not out here in the Hill Country of Texas. Thanks fro helping me on my deceased dads 84 Toyota 4WD with 440,000 miles on it, 158 PSI, never even had a valve job ! just clutches and alternators, ha !