1981 2wd toyota pickup turns over but barely enough power

Asked by Jan 02, 2017 at 03:11 PM about the 1981 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr SR5 Standard Cab SB

I have a good battery I try to turn over and it will do
about 2 revolutions then just die out. what could be
the problem?

25,665

Have you had the battery load tested? May be lacking in cranking amps if it has a dead cell. You can also try a voltage drop test for the starting circuit, to make sure full voltage is reaching the starter. Once you've sorted the starter is getting proper voltage then look at doing a draw test on the starter or have it bench tested.

73,875

Clean and tighten all the battery connections. Charge the battery and try it again. Another possibility is the starter is going out or that the ignition timing is way off.

5,595

the motor could have sludge instead of oil...perhaps check the condition of the oil...and see if the coolant level is at the "full cold" mark~ of course a little spendy, from '81 may be corroded to the core...NEW battery cables would fix that~

5,595

there is a possibility the pressure shoe on the timing chain causes the timing to be off...get a new timing chain kit with new sprockets, chain and presser foot and springs (to keep the chain tight) from '81 that timing chain should have been changed...my Celica popped thru and cracked the case...plenty of 18R's thing rusted to death in Wisconsin~