My 1988 Toyota MR2 will start but will not stay running. What would cause it to do that? The injectors are working but don't seem to be getting fuel through.

5

Asked by Apr 19, 2014 at 06:21 PM about the 1988 Toyota MR2 STD Coupe

6,445

Well my first thoughts on a car as old as that is looking into vacuume lines. I had an 88 MR2 myself and one of the first things I did was vacuum lines, the stock ones were very brittle and a bad vacuume leak can cause issues such as you are describing. As far as the injectors go, how are you testing them?

5

I have already replaced most of the vacuum lines. I ran out of hose before I got completely finished but I will get some more. About the injectors, I took them all off and wired each to a battery and listened to it opening. I also used a syringe and some vacuum hose and forced some gas into it and then opened them and they shot the gas out. I replaced the injector seals also. It will start strong after it's been sitting for a while without me trying to start it but after it cuts off it wont start back unless I turn the key half way and back off a few times to pump some gas.