Starter location 1995 dodge caravan 6 cyl

Asked by Feb 04, 2013 at 06:49 AM about the 1995 Dodge Caravan 3 Dr STD Passenger Van

Open the hood and remove the negative terminal from the battery. A hand wrench or ratchet and socket will work. Crawl under the Dakota (on a creeper if you have one) with all your tools and locate the starter on the low end of the engine where it meets the transmission flywheel. 6 Remove the bottom bolt and washer that secure the starter to the transmission housing. On manual transmission models, there will be a stud on the transmission housing with a nut securing the starter that will have to be removed first. Support the starter in one hand and remove the second bolt supporting the starter to the transmission housing. You may have to slide the transmission cooler tube bracket forward on automatic models to make room to extract the starter. 8 Lower the starter enough in your hand to expose the wires attached to it. Remove the nut holding the positive battery cable. Remove the battery cable solenoid terminal wire. Remove the B+ cable from the starter. Remove the starter when the wires are disconnected. 9 Attach the wires in the same manner to the new starter that you removed them from the old one. It may be tricky trying to support the starter and affix and tighten the wires Position the starter to the transmission housing and insert it into the starter cavity. Hold the starter in place and thread in the washer and bolts. Tighten securely.

lower right in picture, but in car actually left, or driver's side