high RPMs at freeway speeds

55

Asked by Mar 15, 2011 at 07:45 PM about the 1995 Dodge Caravan 3 Dr STD Passenger Van

Recently, my vehicle started hitting 4000 RPMs at freewsay speeds (normally under 2000).  Only happens at speeds over 45mph.  Automatically shifts around town at lower speeds.  Any thoughts?

is the o/d gear engaged or not?

55

Someone at the auto store mentioned that... said it sounds like the overdrive. How do I know if it's engaged or not? While I await your answer, I'll look it up in the manual! Judy

its usually a button on the shifter. It will be in the manual if the car is equipped.

55

I have an automatic, so might be different. It seems I had an od button on a couple of vehicles before that were manual transmission.

Overdrive on a manual is 5th gear or higher. Automatics have an electronically engaged one to protect the powertrain when towing.

55

How do I know if it's engaged or not? Didn't see any button on the shift or anywhere on the dash.

If the car is equipped with it there should be a light on the instrument cluster lit up, or a button lit up usually a D with a circle around it.

On second thought your car is old enough it may have a gear selector position for drive and overdrive. overdrive being the one with a circle around the D

55

We just took it out for a drive around town. It does have an OD button on the dash, so I'm assuming that when you push the button (lights up) that it engages the overdrive. Seems to work properly, and the OD has been OFF since I've owned the car. Do you know anything about the AIS?