I have a 1996 Dodge Neon. I checked my water in my car an it was good. Went for a drive I drove like 20 miles an had to yield an as I slowed down my car started making a noise like as if there was no water in it. I let it cool an put just a little more water in theradiator turned the car back on and drove like 10 miles an it started making that noise an white smoke started coming from underneath the Hood. I check the thermostat an it was open. I put a new water pump in it about 6 months ago. The radiator is ok. What can be the problem with my car over heating?

Asked by May 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM about the 1996 Dodge Neon 4 Dr STD Sedan

Christina...love your smile BTW, your radiator might probably be plugged...also "water" no no no 50/50 coolant mix please or you'll rust up the cooling jacket~ what makes you think that the radiator is okay?...look, there are only several things at play here, 1) coolant flow, (we've already established that your waterpump still has vanes left and is pumpin') 2.) a hose may have collapsed (have seen it before with a plugged radiator) 3.) the thermostat (you could just pull it out of there for a spell) to see if it is still overheating 4.) block could have rust (because you used water instead of 50/50 mix) or otherwise have obstructed flow 5.) the radiator itself (only with a super-sensitive gun type thermometer can we tell where the "hot" spots are on your radiator or if it needs to be replaced~ ----take out the t-stat, top 'er off with 50/50 peak or dexcool (till the translucent reservoir says "FULL") start it up....then we can pinpoint the source of the problem~

we could use one of these temp guns to pinpoint exactly where the clog is on the radiator~