freeze plug is leaking on Nissan truck

Asked by Apr 22, 2013 at 10:17 PM about the 1995 Nissan Truck STD Standard Cab SB

How to replace NISSAN truck (1995, 4 cylinder king cap)  freeze plug?  The plug is behind the exhaust manifold. My plug is leaking while I clean the leaky part with screw driver.

10,365

Sucks that it's behind the manifold. If it's leaking it's got to be removed. Easiest way is to punch one end in untill it pivots then pull it out with pump pliers. I don't recommend reusing the plug. To put a new one in I use a large socket and beat it in square. Make sure you clean the block, I also like to use sealant. If there isn't enough room to get at the plug and install the new one behind the manifold there is a plan B. Install a block heater, they come with a o-ring seal and a toggle bolt. Insert it into the hole and tighten the screw or bolt.

3,210

If there isn't room to peen a new one in place, they make ones that go in there and expand by tightening a nut on a tapered plug that will seal it. You also could pop in a block heater in that hole as well.