Why won't the car stay running after I start it?

5

Asked by Dec 21, 2010 at 09:40 AM about the 1996 Dodge Intrepid 4 Dr ES Sedan

One day my car just quit while I was driving.  Waited a few it started back up and I drove it home.  The next day a similar incident.  About a week later I drove it about 30 miles to another town and it finally quit running again.  I had it towed home.  Changed the fuel pump with a used one and the same thing happened.  Took it back and bought a new one.  Still won't stay running.  Changed the fuel filters, the ignition switch all with the same ending.  Changed the ignition switch, and got used computer and changed it.  A mechanic looked at it and he changed the relays around and got the car started.  He let it run for an hour and then drove it to another locaton about 20 miles away and back.  I got the car and drove about another 20 or so miles and it was ok.  The next day went about 10 miles and it died again.  After waiting about 10 minutes it restarted and died once more on the way home.  Let is set for about 10 minutes and it started again.  Now it will just start and then die a few seconds later.  It will not stay running.

20

Have you checked the air intakes and cleaners recently? Wasps have been known to make nests in the nastiest places! One time I had a wasp nest behind the Driver's mirror, that was BAD! A loose or partial obstruction in the air intake system can cause weird problems, also check for a plugged/soaked air filter. A loose hose can result in no idle/poor idle and cutting out for no apparent reason.