'88 ZX analogue gauges fail intermittently---even as I'm driving.

60

Asked by Dec 10, 2014 at 07:45 PM about the 1988 Nissan 300ZX 2 Dr GS

Speedo, tach, fuel, temp, battery, etc all either zero out or freeze. Seems coincidental that it often/sometimes happens when I use the clutch---and will (agian---sometimes) come back on if I tap the door of the fuse panelwith my left foot. I suspect a loose wire or ground but have not idea what to look for or where to find it. Fuses are intact.

One of the fuses are not tight in terminal, if it stays like that it will generate heat and damage fuse box.

Best Answer
60

Thank you for your suggestion. That was my first suspicion as well. I will definitely have another look (especially at the leads to and from the specific terminals---which will probably mean removing the fuse box completely since it is far to awkward to get my head close enough otherwise. That said, all fuses were checked and terminals tested for both load and continuity. All came up sound----yet it still happens. Any idea which of the fusible links above the fuse box might be involved (I cannot find any documentation specifying which supports what)? Cuz they may be the next most likely culprits that have to be removed, inspected and replaced---and it's a bit of a bitch to get at 'em all.

60

Turns out it was a fuse bracket (prongs and wiring) after all. Seems the previous owner installed an aftermarket alarm system and chose to connect via the 'Meter' fuse bracket---damaging the prongs and the gauge wiring at the same time. I replaced and rewired the bracket and all is well. Many thanks for your help, tommcmanis .

Anytime I own an 86,gll,w autoclimate,and digital so I know these cars pretty well. Feel free to hmu

60

Every time I turn the car off and on again, I have to reset the damn radio (it reverts to 'default' AM 5:30). I know it is likely an interruption or faulty ground in the 'constant' (trickle?) needed to maintain the memory, settings etc, but have no idea where to look. Suggestions?

60

I guess a better question might be---where do the radio and other dash items ground?

That's a fuse still room or cigar lighter

60

Sorry Tom. Didn't understand your answer. Are you saying it might be another fuse bracket problem?