Car wont start (bad starter?)

5

Asked by May 25, 2016 at 01:15 PM about the 1988 Nissan 300ZX 2 Dr Turbo

There's power to entire car (new battery) but it
won't start. There's no noise when I turn the car
beside a single "click". Just got car from a friend
and he said he had to tap the starter to get it going.  
I tried that but still there's no change when I
attempt to start it again. Going to replace starter
tomorrow...could there be any other possible
issues? Also where could I find a video or images
of how to swap it out. I can't seem to find a decent
video on YouTube.

78,195

One loud single click is usually a bad starter, especially when your friend stated that he had to tap it to get it started, sometimes when they get really bad even a bag whack won't make them go any more. So yes you are on the right track. As far as finding any videos, no luck there. Sorry

Best Answer
5

Thanks for the fast reply, I'll post on here once I put the new starter in. Added note, could anyone possible explain the wire configuration to the starter? +,-, etc? Also I have been told that the older Z's like to short out a lot. Is there any additional grounds I might want to add anywhere just to solve any additional problems that may come from a short?

78,195

It seems that a lot of Asian vehicles have grounding troubles, so it wouldn't hurt to add an additional ground from the engine to the body, and one from the battery to the engine. Starter wiring is o\not that hard, you have 1 large cable from the battery, that is the hot or positive lead and it goes on the large terminal bolt on the solenoid, there will be a smaller wire with a snap lock spade connector that goes on the small blade connector also on the solenoid, the starter get it's ground right through the bolts and mounting area, so it has to be tight. That's about it.

5

As of now there is no wire connecting to tab on solenoid...and from what I have seen no disconnected wire in area of starter.

78,195

It should look like this. courtesy of worldpack

5

I'm aware of what it looks like I'm just trying to see what it looks like with wires connected and what not. Notice the small tab located on the solenoid? What connects to that? As of now nothing is connected there.

78,195

There should be a small wire with a female spade connector on it, most are usually black but have seen a few on Nissan's that were kinda clear white color. It could have been knocked off when you friend was whacking it with whatever, it don't take much for it to get pulled off. Should be a black wire with a yellow stripe.

5

Could that be a reason for it not to work? What's the wires purpose ? Thanks tennisshoes for all your responses...I'm sure these questions are elementary haha

78,195

It powers up the solenoid from the ignition switch when you turn the key to crank position, so the power goes from the ignition switch through the park switch if it's and automatic, or through the clutch switch if it a manual trans, and then on to the solenoid. Yes if that wire is disconnected that is a good reason.