Electrical problem Nissan 300zx 1986

Asked by Aug 23, 2016 at 02:49 PM about the 1986 Nissan 300ZX 2 Dr STD

Trying to restore with my son.  There are several electrical problems that may or may not be related.  First, the blower motor for the AC does not have power at the fuse.  The tachometer does not work, nor do the lights for the instrument cluster at night.  The headlights will cycle up and down when you switch them to bright.  All the fuses are good, but no power to the fuses for the blower motor.  Any thoughts on where to start?  Any way that these are related?

70,255

If you don't already have one, I'd suggest getting a factory shop manual for the vehicle. Not to be confused with a Chilton's or Haynes repair manual. The shop manual will have the wiring diagrams you need. Try Fax on Auto Literature in Riverside, California. They're very reasonable. Or, eBay is always worth a look as well. I'd look at where power comes into the fuse box. I once had a '67 Cadillac and half the electrics in the car were out. I found a bad connection with a power wire that went into the back of the fuse box. HTH. -Jim

70,255

Oh and Faxon has a website. -Jim