1982 Honda Civic high rev problem

Asked by Oct 19, 2014 at 11:48 AM about the 1982 Honda Civic 1500 DX Hatchback

I just put a refers/rebuilt  carburetor on my 1982 civic.  When i got the car,  it didn't have a
carb on it so I'm trying figure out the vacuum lines.  As of now, it revs up high as soon as i
start it up. the carb was a bolt on and drive. I don't have the canister or air cleaner on yet
but don't think that would matter. Thanks

the electronic choke my be sticking, it will rev high, until the motor warms up, check and see if your choke plate is fully close, if so open it with your hand ,or screw driver, and see if the engine drops down on the RPM'S, OR IF ITS A MANUEL CHOKE, DO THE SAME, OR IF IT'S A SPRING LOADED CHOKE, CHECK THE MECHANISM , SPRAY SOME CARB CLEANER IN BEHIND THE COVER OF THE CHOKE ASSM.... HOPE THIS HELPS

What engine? May be able to find vacuum diagram

At first I thought this was a put-on, a joke, but holy crap Honda really has vacuum lines as such ..and since the intake is not metered you're correct, running it w/o filter makes no diff

Best Answer

Thanks all for the quick responses.. Yes, this thing has crazy vacuum lines. Its a 1500dx with electric choke. I'll tinker with it again today and upload pictures tonight.

So i did manage to get it stay idled down enough to let it run for a minute by holding back the choke. if interested in see the short video please email me at skytrain555@gmail.com. While it was running, it was putting off a lot of white smoke.. the carb was suppose to be bolt on ready. i suppose that is if all is working to factory specs??

I sprayed carb cleaner in and kept it running for about a min by minimizing airflow into the carb with my hand. Its not the idler, the choke is opening up and staying pinned. The entire carb is a factory rebuild and is like a brand new carb. as stated above, it's suppose to be ready to go.Thoughts?. Thanks

Another picture